The Nitpicker’s Nook is a monthly collection of language-related articles, interviews, and blog posts from around the Web. If you read something that would make a good addition, email your suggestion to firstname.lastname@example.org.
By Emily Chau
- Another reason to go to the EAC Conference: write off the conference costs! Adrienne Montgomerie, a long-time EAC member, shares her tax tips with freelancers in this article. (Copyediting.com)
- Science editors alert! The Plants of Canada Database is an updated source of information about natural, vascular plants in Canada. Check out this quick and accessible tool for more information on both native and introduced species in the Canadian flora. (Canadian Food Inspection Agency)
- Check out this cool presentation from Ryan O’Connor (a.k.a. Chelsea Tech Guy), who has provided a free recording of his presentation, “Get Your Head in the Cloud: Modern Tools for Modern Editors” from our EAC colleagues out in the National Capital Region during April’s speaker night in Ottawa. (EAC-NCR Bulletin)
- Since some of our editors are also translators, here’s a cheat sheet on Twitter hashtags for that line of work. (Lingoio)
- If someone sternly insists that it’s wrong to use a certain word a certain way, is it pickiness or precision? An assistant editor in London shares his thoughts with us on his blog. (The Stroppy Editor)
- Do editors know everything? What happens when you run up against something you have no clue how to tackle? Spend two minutes reading this humourous article from Colorado copy editor Molly McCowan and see if you jibe with her thoughts. (Inkbot Editing)
- Are you familiar with Mignon Fogarty (a.k.a. Grammar Girl), the language guru with her own podcast, website, and bestselling book? Read an interview with the expert on how she turned her love of language into a successful, multi-faceted brand. (Travis Hermann: Ronin Writer)
Emily Chau is a mid-level public relations practitioner in Toronto. She is also a web experimenter and passionate about volunteering.
This article was copy edited by Samita Sarkar.